Kebabs, kabobs, skewers… whatever you like to call them. Food on a stick is fun, convenient and a change is as good as a holiday, right?
While trying to think up some vegetarian food ideas – stir fries get a little boring after a while – my friend, who used to be vegetarian, gave me some cook books to look at. Thanks, Gill!
This recipe is adapted to be FF and GF from Family Circles’ ‘Fast Vegetarian,’ guaranteed to be ready in just 30 minutes. That I like.
- While mushrooms are low fructose and fructans, they do contain polyols. You could swap them out for extra zucchini/capsicum or for another vegetable.
- To make your own chili paste: to yield 1 cup, blitz a large handful of red chili peppers, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. freshly minced ginger and extra virgin olive oil as required in a food processor until smooth.
- For an intense chili taste, marinade the tofu and veggies for at least an hour, or overnight, to allow the tofu to take on the chili paste’s flavours. This of course will mean that it’s not really a 30 minute meal but it does make meal prep the next night even faster.
Chili Tofu Skewers
Serves 4, or one couple for two nights if you refrigerate half pre-cooking.
- 200 g/6.5 oz extra firm tofu, cut into 1″ cubes
- 150 g/5 oz button mushrooms, halved
- 2 red capsicums, cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 zucchinis, thickly sliced
- 12 or so wooden skewers, soaked in water to prevent splintering
- 1/2 cup FF chili paste – sans garlic or onion
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F.
Prepare all vegetables and tofu and put all marinade ingredients in a jar, put on the lid and shake til combined.
In whatever order you’d like, place the veggies and tofu on the skewers. Place finished skewers on a lined baking tray and brush generously with the chili sauce.
Cook for 15 minutes or so, until vegetables look properly cooked. Baste once more with chili sauce after 10 minutes.
Serve on top of a bed of white rice or quinoa – if you can tolerate it. These skewers look good, taste great and are so quick and simple to put together that I think they will become a new go-to meal.