As much as I love Seattle, it does suck a little bit (at least), living literally half a world away from your family. Even more-so around holidays; Skype is great but it’s not the same as being there in person. It might be just another Hallmark Holiday to some but I do like having a chance to show my mum (and my dad, when it’s his turn) how much I am grateful for the time they spent caring for and raising me as a kid.
Given that I’m not going to make it to Melbourne by Sunday, even if I could, a phone call will have to do until we’re next together and I can make Mum her chocolate cake and Dad his pecan pie. But for those of you lucky enough to live in the same city as your family, here’s a collection of low FODMAP and gluten free recipes with which you can spoil your mum, whether you chose morning tea, brunch (my favourite) or just fitting it in whenever you can. Hopefully there’s a variety to suit everyone’s needs, including vegan/dairy free, some healthy and others not so much.
There are twenty-seven recipes, one for each year that my beautiful Mum has
put up with been graced by my presence.
I have my priorities sorted, thank you.
- Chocolate mud cake (let’s start this list off with my Mum’s personal favourite) – Not From A Packet Mix
- Miniature berry and rhubarb crumbles – Not From A Packet Mix
- Mockapple crumble – Not From A Packet Mix
- Strawberry, rhubarb and coconut pie – Not From A Packet Mix
- Chocolate brownies – Not From A Packet Mix
- Scones topped with homemade lemon butter or jam – Not From A Packet Mix
- Baked blueberry oatmeal (porridge) – Patsy Catsos, RD
- Pumpkin spice pancakes – Not From A Packet Mix
- Oregano, olive oil and sea salt spelt focaccia (warning – not gluten free) – Not From A Packet Mix
- Poached eggs on toast, served with some guacamole – Not From A Packet Mix
- Tomato and Feta baked eggs – Friendly Little Kitchen
- Carrot and corn fritters – A Little Bit Yummy
- Salmon and spinach omelette with cherry tomatoes – A Little Bit Yummy
- Chicken caesar salad – Not From A Packet Mix
- Rainbow salad – Fructopia
- Spinach, brie and walnut salad – Kate Scarlata, RD
- Strawberry salad with a maple-lemon vinaigrette – Not From A Packet Mix
- Balsamic chicken salad with strawberries – Delicious As It Looks
- Shrimp arrabbiata – Life and Thymez
- Balsamic rosemary and chicken risotto – Not From A Packet Mix
- Classic spaghetti Bolognese – Not From A Packet Mix
- Balsamic beetroot and caremelised fennel tart with a brown rice crust – Friendly Little Kitchen
- Quinoa and vegetable stuffed capsicums – Not From A Packet Mix
- Beef barbacoa tacos – Delicious As It Looks
- Sangria – Not From A Packet Mix
- Freshly squeezed mimosas – Inspired Taste (It’s basically the same recipe that I make but have never published… I’ve never measured in the triple sec, though. Use freshly squeezed OJ and limit to one serving)
- Purple basil lemonade – Fructopia